Enjoy a savory delicacy that expertly blends juicy, delicate chicken breast with mushroom sauce, creating a symphony of tastes that dance on your palate. The earthy richness of sautéed mushrooms wraps each bite, while the sizzling chicken breast sears to perfection, releasing its attractive fragrance and raising this meal to an exceptional level of culinary bliss.
This chicken breast with mushroom sauce is a feast suitable for the most delicate palates, offering an unforgettable meal that will leave you desiring more. It has a delicious blend of textures and a sauce that reflects depth and richness.
How does it taste?
The Chicken Breast with Mushroom Sauce offers a delightful combination of flavors that will tantalize your taste buds. The chicken breast itself is tender and juicy, providing a mild and subtle taste that serves as a perfect canvas for the rich mushroom sauce. The sauce, made from sautéed mushrooms, is bursting with earthy and savory notes that complement the chicken beautifully.
The mushrooms add depth and richness to the dish, creating a velvety and flavorful sauce that coats the chicken with every bite. Together, the chicken and mushroom sauce create a harmonious blend of flavors that is both satisfying and delicious.
What type of mushroom sauce goes with chicken breast?
- Creamy Mushroom Sauce: This classic and luxurious sauce is a timeless companion to chicken breast. Made with a combination of sautéed mushrooms, garlic, shallots, and a creamy base such as heavy cream or sour cream, this sauce adds a velvety texture and rich flavor to the chicken. It’s a harmonious blend that turns a simple chicken breast into an exquisite culinary masterpiece.
- Marsala Mushroom Sauce: Inspired by Italian cuisine, Marsala mushroom sauce brings a sweet and savory twist to your chicken dish. Sautéed mushrooms are combined with Marsala wine, chicken broth, and often flavored with thyme or other herbs. The resulting sauce has a slightly sweet note from the wine, making it a delectable choice to complement the tender chicken.
- Dijon Mushroom Sauce: For a touch of sophistication, consider a Dijon mushroom sauce. This sauce incorporates Dijon mustard into the mix, lending a tangy and slightly spicy kick to the earthy mushrooms. The combination of flavors adds complexity and depth to the chicken breast, resulting in a truly gourmet experience.
- Garlic Mushroom Sauce: If you’re a garlic lover, this sauce is a must-try. Sautéed mushrooms and garlic are the stars here, creating a bold and aromatic sauce that pairs wonderfully with chicken breast. The intensity of the garlic melds beautifully with the umami-rich mushrooms, creating a sauce that’s both comforting and indulgent.
- Herb-Infused Mushroom Sauce: Elevate your chicken breast with a burst of fresh herbs in your mushroom sauce. Thyme, rosemary, sage, or tarragon can be added to the sauce, infusing it with its aromatic essence. These herbs not only enhance the flavor of the mushrooms but also complement the natural flavors of the chicken.
- White Wine Mushroom Sauce: Similar to the red wine version, this sauce features the use of white wine. It imparts a lighter, slightly fruity flavor that beautifully complements the chicken breast. The combination of white wine and mushrooms creates a delicate sauce that’s perfect for a refined dining experience.
What to Serve with Chicken Breast with Mushroom Sauce
Chicken Breast with Mushroom Sauce pairs wonderfully with a variety of side dishes, enhancing the overall dining experience. Here are a few suggestions to consider:
- Mashed Potatoes: Creamy mashed potatoes serve as a warming and satisfying side dish to the chicken and mushroom sauce. The potatoes’ mild flavor and smooth texture work well with the sauce’s full flavor.
- Steamed Vegetables: Lightly steamed vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, or green beans, add freshness and vibrant colors to the plate. They add a nutritious balance to the meal and an enjoyable texture contrast.
- Rice Pilaf: A fragrant, fluffy rice pilaf is a great option for enjoying the mouthwatering mushroom sauce. The grains of rice absorb the flavors of the sauce, creating a delectable combination.
- Roasted Asparagus: The delicate flavor of the roasted asparagus spears and a hint of visibility help balance the richness of the chicken and mushroom sauce. The delicate chicken is delightfully contrasted with the asparagus’ crunchy texture.
- Garlic Bread: Warm, buttery garlic bread is a classic side that complements a variety of dishes. It adds a satisfying crunch and a burst of flavor, making it an ideal choice to accompany the chicken and mushroom sauce.
Chicken Breast with Mushroom Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 12 ounces white mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup of white wine
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream (or heavy cream)
- 2 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley (for decoration)
Heat the skillet
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Cook the chicken
- On both sides, season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Sauté the chicken breasts for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until their inside is no longer pink, depending on the thickness of your breasts. The breasts should cook faster because they are actually thin.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate.
Cook the mushrooms
- For a few minutes, add the onion and garlic to the skillet and stir often or until the onion is soft,
- Stir in the mushrooms. Salt and pepper the mushrooms liberally.
- Allow them cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When they are cooked to your liking, add the wine and deglaze the skillet by scraping the bottom of the pan. It's the flavor in all those brown bits!
Finish the Sauce
- Finish the sauce by adding the flour to the mushrooms and stirring for an additional minute to get rid of the taste of the raw flour.
- Then, add the cream and stir. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the sauce slightly reduces and thickens.
- Taste the dish for flavor and add more salt or pepper if desired. Add the chicken back to the skillet and cover with sauce.
- Garnish with rice pilaf or steamed vegetables and enjoy!
- Choosing Chicken Breast: Opt for boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. They cook evenly and absorb the flavors well.
- Proper Seasoning: Season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and any additional desired spices before cooking. This enhances the flavor profile of the dish.
- Searing Technique: For a perfectly golden sear, heat the skillet over medium-high heat and add a small amount of oil. Place the seasoned chicken breasts in the skillet and let them sear undisturbed for a few minutes on each side until they develop a nice crust.
- Slicing Mushrooms: Choose fresh mushrooms like cremini, button, or shiitake. Slice them evenly for uniform cooking and better distribution throughout the sauce.
- Sautéing Mushrooms: Once you’ve seared the chicken, sauté the sliced mushrooms in the same skillet. This allows the mushrooms to soak up the flavors left behind from cooking the chicken.
- Flavorful Additions: Enhance the mushroom sauce by adding minced garlic, shallots, or onions. Sauté them with the mushrooms for added depth of flavor.
- Creamy Texture: To create a rich and creamy sauce, add heavy cream, half-and-half, or Greek yogurt. Simmer the mixture gently until it thickens slightly.
- Fresh Herbs: Stir in chopped fresh herbs like thyme, parsley, or tarragon at the end of cooking to infuse the sauce with a burst of freshness.
- Balancing Flavors: Taste and adjust the seasoning of the mushroom sauce before adding the chicken back to the skillet. Make sure the flavors are well-balanced and to your liking.
- Combining Chicken and Sauce: Return the seared chicken breasts to the skillet, nestling them into the mushroom sauce. This allows the chicken to absorb the flavors of the sauce as it finishes cooking.
- Finishing Touch: Cover the skillet and let the chicken simmer in the mushroom sauce for a few minutes, ensuring it’s fully cooked through and tender.
- Garnish: Before serving, garnish the dish with a sprinkle of fresh herbs or a drizzle of high-quality olive oil for an added visual and flavor appeal.
Calories in Chicken & Mushroom Sauce
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.